Why study for A Chemistry PhD at Birmingham?
- Over the last four years, expenditure of over £2 million has allowed the School of Chemistry to purchase new instrumentation and refurbish and redevelop its facilities for research and teaching. This has been accompanied by the creation of several new staff positions. This increased research strength has been recognised by the research councils, who have given substantial support for research in the School in the last few years. With the facilities and opportunities available to our researchers, we can make real contributions to tackling the scientific challenges that face chemists today.
- At the Chemistry programme from University of Birmingham, you will provided with an Induction Programme, which generally occurs within the first week of Semester 1. The Induction Programme considers aspects such as the School Structure, Key Personnel, and Safety Matters, and is supplemented by a number of generic and subject specific Training Programmes.
- You will also receive training in thesis writing through the requirement to submit two reports (a literature review and end of year one research review) in their first year of registration. These reports are reviewed by two assessors, and feedback is provided. During subsequent years, you may gain experience with paper writing through submission of research for publication.
- The School also organises an Annual Postgraduate Research Conference in July, at which all PG students attend. Students in their second year of registration produce a poster for this conference, while third year students are required to give an oral presentation.
As a research-led School, which has received significant recent investment for research infrastructure, we offer a high quality research environment that provides its researchers with the best starting point for their future career. Through your time with us, you will not only have acquired the diverse range of skills that equip you for a research career in science, but also have developed key transferable skills that will be invaluable for pursuing a career in any discipline.
Programme StructureResearch Units:
- Molecular Synthesis and Biological Chemistry
- Interactions, Interfaces and Sensing
- Materials Chemistry
- 12 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
Contact the School directly for further information
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 210 other Masters in Biochemistry in United Kingdom
Applicants must have 2:1 Honours degree (or the equivalent) in a relevant subject. Learn more about entry requirements.
International24780 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24780 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National4565 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4565 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.