In the Theatre - Directing and Music Direction MFA program offered at The University of Montana, you will experience an intense first-year cohort experience with other MFA graduate students that will focus on techniques and principles in the service of communicating story and character through dramatic action and concept. You will create a short independent project in your first year of study and then direct or music direct a fully-realized production in each of the ensuing two years of residency.
- Lighting technician
- Stage manager
- Set designer
- Theatre Design
- Stagecraft: Lighting/Costumes
- Theatre Production: Run Crew
- Dramatic Literature
- Theatre History
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
Applications are not currently open.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Music Theatre & Dance View 1089 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Prior to applying for the MFA in Directing/Music Direction only: send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org expressing interest in applying.
- Complete the Online Application (https://www.applyweb.com/apply/uomont/menu.html) As part of this process, applicants must do the following:
- Self-report all colleges and universities attended (including grade point average).
- Have three current letters of recommendation uploaded by recommender.
- Upload a letter of intent clearly stating goals, objectives, and specialty.
- Upload resume.
- Pay the application fee.
- Statement of Directing Philosophy and two filmed items:
-One movement from musical theatre repertoire without vocals, from a musical written between 1940 and 1960. Example: an overture, entr’acte, or dance break
-One song, accompanying a singer, from a standard (non-rock) musical.
International11880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5940 USD per semester during 36 months.
National11880 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5940 USD per semester during 36 months.
In-State3444 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1722 USD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Missoula
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.