Students who will follow this Early Childhood and Primary Education course at the University of Malta will specialise in Pedagogical Content Knowledge (after having obtained a first-cycle degree at first-cycle level in Content Knowledge), in Educational Context Knowledge and in Educational Research and Inquiry. These are intrinsically related to the Field Placement in schools. Furthermore, the wider educational context will be included in the programme through Educational Themes and Creative Positive Learning Environments. The MTL bridges theory and practice thereby forming educators as reflective, inquiring and collegial professionals. It promotes teaching and learning for democracy and social justice.
Skills acquired throughout the course are directly transferable to classrooms, schools and communities: these include teaching techniques, class management skills, teachers as leaders, democracy and social knowledge within the teaching profession etc. The research element of the MTL will allow students to engage with specific issues related to Education and/or their field of specialisation.
On completion of the MTL one is eligible to apply for a teacher's warrant and is fully qualified to teach in schools and to start a career in a field related to Education. The course also leads to further study in the field should one wish to obtain a degree of specialisation in Education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Themes in Education
- Creating Positive Learning Environments
- Educational Contexts: Contexts, Conditions and Communities of Learners
- Teaching and Learning English
- Educational Contexts: Learners and Learning
- Educational Contexts: Curricula and Pedagogies
- Teaching Humanities, Democracy and Ethics in the Primary School
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarly Childhood Education Primary Education
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Apart from being in possession of a first cycle degree obtained with at least Second Class (Honours) or Category II as indicated further below, applicants shall:
- submit a Police Good Conduct Certificate issued by the Commissioner of Police in terms of the Conduct Certificates Ordinance and
- not be included in the Register established under the Protection of Minors (Registration) Act.
- the first cycle degree in Early Childhood Education and Care or
- a first cycle degree with a main area of study that is a subject directly related to at least one subject taught as part of the Primary Education Curriculum or
- a first cycle degree with a main area of study in an area related to human/child development or childhood.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International10800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21600 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Yr 1: Eur 10,800 / Yr 2: Eur 10,800
Living costs for Msida
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.