Social inclusion and cohesion are deemed to be of increasing importance. Almost one quarter of the Maltese population is at risk of poverty or social exclusion and social changes have been rapid with effects on the relationships and institutions that underpin social cohesion.
By taking a social inclusion approach, this Social Policy programme at the University of Malta will focus on designing and implementing policies and programmes through which the terms of people's social participation can be improved. It will also offer a broad set of professional skills based on the values of good governance, equity, efficiency and effectiveness.
The programme of study includes topics which focus on:
- theory, critical debates and trends in poverty and social exclusion, including selected areas of focus;
- theory, critical debates and trends in social change, social inclusion and social cohesion;
- EU Cohesion Policy and its implementation in Malta;
- needs assessment, formulation and analysis of policy, including comparative policy at EU level;
- advanced research methods and research and practice seminars;
- management theory and skills in respect of planning, implementing and evaluating social services and projects;
- rationale and techniques of service user participation and stakeholder consultation.
This course will enhance employability of persons who wish to work in social policy development, research, project and service management in a broad range of areas in the social field within government, private or NGO sector at local, EU and international level.
Students may go on to apply for a PhD course with the Department upon successful completion of this course.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Comparative Social Policy
- Advanced Research Methods for Social Work and Social Policy
- Planning, Managing and Evaluating Social Services and Projects
- Areas of Social Policy
- Poverty and Social Exclusion
- Social Change and Social Cohesion
- Implementation of Cohesion Policy in Malta
- Philosophies and Politics of Welfare
- Contemporary Topics in Poverty and Social Exclusion: A Critical Approach
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology Public Policy View 11 other Masters in Public Policy in Malta
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Malta and/or in Malta, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants must be in possession of a Bachelor degree with at least Second Class Honours in Social Policy or in any other area of study which the Board deems to be relevant.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International7200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10800 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
- Annual Enrolment Fee: Eur 400
- Yr 1: Eur 10,800 / Yr 2: NIL
Living costs for Msida
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.