Whatever your academic background, this taught programme invites you to explore your love of film in a professional capacity. The M.A. in Film Studies at the University of Malta will test your practical capabilities and provides you with the necessary techniques to successfully plan and shoot a short film, and to develop it in all its stages from the script to the screen.
By analysing the interaction of image and sound and combining it with research, history, academia, and narrative, you will be appositely prepared to tell your story through the medium of film.
The taught Master’s Programme in Film Studies will enable you to further your postgraduate studies at a doctoral level in film, television, and other screen media. Other work opportunities are also available if you are more interested in the practical aspects of film, and the skill acquired from this course may enable you to pursue a career in media industries as a scriptwriter, editor, and producer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Cinematography: Theory and Practice
- Methods of Research: Critical Approaches to Film Studies
- Celluloid Balloons: Film Adaptations of Comics & Comic Book Adaptations of Films, from the Silent Era to the Digital Age
- Film Adaptation, the Literary Tradition and the Other Arts
- Representing Otherness on Film: Gender, Disability, Sexuality and Ethnicity in the Cinema
- Screenwriting and the Art of Dramaturgy
- Film, Technology and the Literary Canon
- Basic Post-Production
- Udine-Gorizia, International Film Studies Spring School
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media View 8 other Masters in Visual Arts in Malta
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Malta and/or in Malta, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
The Course shall be open to applicants in possession of one of the following qualifications:
- the degree of Bachelor of Arts (Honours) with Second Class or better in the same or in a closely related area of study as the area of study applied for, provided that the Board may consider applicants in possession of the Degree with Third Class Honours only if it is satisfied that such applicants are in possession of other qualifications, including relevant experience, obtained following the first cycle degree or
- the degree of Bachelor of Arts in the same or in a closely related area of study as that applied for, with an average mark of not less than 55% in that area or
- a degree from this or from another university which the Board considers as comparable to any of the degrees indicated in paragraphs (a) and (b) above.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10800 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
EU/EEA1600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4800 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
- Fee per semester: Eur 800
- Yr 1: Eur 5,400 / Yr 2: Eur 5,400 / Yr 3: NIL
Living costs for Msida
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.