The Asia-Pacific region features strongly in our research and teaching but we also cover other parts of the world, such as Latin America, Central Asia and Africa.
Recent graduate research has been conducted in Samoa, Cook Islands, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu, Solomon Islands, Philippines, Indonesia, Cambodia, Maldives, Taiwan, Nepal and Peru. Staff research and practice has included work in Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Vietnam, Yemen, Niger, Benin, Tanzania and Cuba.
The Master of Arts in Development Studies from University of Auckland is an effective way to take your knowledge and transferable skills to the next level. Our graduates have combined skills in strategic and critical thinking with global and cultural awareness for careers in fields such as government, international development, museums and cultural heritage, media production, research and policy.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Development Praxis
- Gender and Development
- Independent Research
- Theories of International Development
- Development Policies and Institutions
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Educational Research International Development View 27 other Masters in International Development in New Zealand
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
120-point (one-year) MA
- A BA(Hons) or PGDipArts in Development Studies or in one of Anthropology, Asian Studies, Economics, Education, Geography, History, Māori Studies, Pacific Studies, Political Studies, Sociology with a Grade Point Average of 5.0 or higher, or approval of the Director of Development Studies. The research masters has higher requirements.
- A BA or approved equivalent with a major in Anthropology, Asian Studies, Development Studies, Economics, Education, Geography, Global Studies, History, Māori Studies, Pacific Studies, Politics and International Relations or Sociology.
- You must have a Grade Point Average of 5.0 or higher in 75 points above Stage II including at least 45 points in the major.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22544 USD per year during 12 months.
National4789 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4789 USD per year during 12 months.
- Domestic: NZ$8,131.20 – $10,060.80
- International: NZ$38,273 – $48,622
Living costs for Auckland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.