Applied Linguistics formulates theory and research-based solutions to real world language problems. It is an interdisciplinary field of enquiry that draws on linguistics, psycholinguistics, second language acquisition, sociolinguistics and education.
We take as our starting point practical issues such as "How can multilingualism be fostered in a society such as New Zealand?", "In what ways can classroom learners of foreign languages be motivated to learn?" and "How can language proficiency be fairly and validly assessed?" and seek research-based answers.
The Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics from University of Auckland is an effective way to take your knowledge and transferable skills to the next level. Our graduates have combined skills in strategic and critical thinking with global and cultural awareness for careers in fields such as government, international development, museums and cultural heritage, media production, research and policy.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Multilingual Lives
- Task-based Language Teaching
- Developing Academic Literacy
- Materials Development and Evaluation
- Corpus Studies in Applied Linguistics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Pedagogy Linguistics View 59 other Masters in Language Studies in New Zealand
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
120-point (one-year) MA
- A BA(Hons) or PGDipArts in Language Teaching/TESOL, or in Linguistics, or a language, or another relevant subject, or a PGDipLT, or equivalent. You must have a Grade Point Average of 5.0 or higher.
- The following subject may also be considered for entry: Language Education in any language.
- A bachelors degree with a major in Language Teaching/TESOL, or in Linguistics, or a language, or other relevant subject with the approval of the Academic Head or nominee.
- A bachelors degree and at least two years of second language teaching experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22544 USD per year during 12 months.
National4789 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4789 USD per year during 12 months.
- Domestic: NZ$8,131.20 – $10,060.80
- International: NZ$38,273 – $48,622
Living costs for Auckland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.