What you will study
Social studies educators teach learners intellectual skills and knowledge across the history, geography, political science and economic content areas. Our urban communities need highly skilled, compassionate and advocacy-oriented social studies teachers whose content knowledge and instructional practice honor students’ diversity and promote equity. Social studies teachers create learning environments that develop young citizens who can productively participate in our democracy and the global community.
The Social Studies Education M.A.T. program offered at Georgia State University is grounded in educational theory, research and best practice, integrating principles of social justice and equity. Throughout the program, students take specialized education and content courses and gain practical teaching experience in grades 6-12. Our dynamic program features technology integration and offers study-abroad opportunities. Faculty support planning, instruction, assessment and reflection with colleagues, faculty and partner schools who are committed to excellence in education.
Concentrations include: History, Geography, Political Science and Economics content areas.
- Secondary Teaching
- Principles of Social Studies Instruction
- Theory and Pedagogy of Social Studies Instruction
- Teaching and Learning in Urban Contexts
- Teaching History and the Social Sciences
- Social Studies Concepts and Issues
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Sociology Pedagogy View 246 other Masters in Pedagogy in United States
- Online Application
- Application Fee of $50
- Goals Statement (upload with the application)
- Resume (upload with the application)
- Two Letters of Recommendation (identify your recommenders on the application)
- Official Transcript: minimum 2.5 undergraduate GPA required for admission
- submit transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Georgia Educator Ethics — Program Entry (350)
- GACE Program Admission Assessment
- You may exempt this test if you have received appropriate minimum scores on the ACT, SAT, or GRE.
International30216 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15108 USD per semester during 18 months.
National30216 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15108 USD per semester during 18 months.
In-State9552 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4776 USD per semester during 18 months.
Living costs for Atlanta
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.