This Applied Linguistics and Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at the University of Malta enhances awareness of issues surrounding the learning of English by speakers of other languages in different contexts around the world and it leads to a range of career paths in the international TESOL industry.
It offers focused and scholarly engagement with current theory and practice in second language acquisition, the learning of language skills and systems, the evaluation of English language proficiency, the use of digital technology in TESOL, and English for Specific Purposes. It provides the opportunity to conduct corpus-based research in English as a second and foreign language.
The M.A. in Applied Linguistics and TESOL furnishes you with the knowledge and skills needed to occupy a variety of academic and managerial roles worldwide.
Career opportunites and access to further studies
The M.A. in Applied Linguistics and Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages enables you to fill such positions as those of Director of Studies, trainer, course designer, examiner, consultant, etc. It also makes you eligible for doctoral study in TESOL.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Research Methods in TESOL
- Applied Linguistics for TESOL
- Advanced Grammar
- Evaluating English Language Proficiency
- Developing English Language Proficiency
- Second Language Acquisition
- TESOL Practicum
- Digital Technology in TESOL
- English for Specific Purposes
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 18 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching Linguistics Teaching English View 6 other Masters in Linguistics in Malta
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- a Bachelor’s degree in English from this University or from a higher education institution, provided that they demonstrate, through appropriate certification and references, that they have undertaken at least 500 hours of teaching English or are in possession of a Malta Qualifications Framework Level 4 qualification in TESOL or higher or
- a Bachelor’s degree in an area of study deemed relevant, provided that they are either in possession of a Malta Qualifications Framework Level 4 qualification in English or an IELTS 7 or equivalent and have undertaken at least 1000 hours of teaching English or, if they have no teaching experience, they will be required to follow and successfully complete the University of Malta Certificate in ELT or
- a DELTA (Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults) or Dip.TESOL (Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) qualification or equivalent, including relevant teaching experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4800 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
EU/EEA3200 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4800 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
- Fee per semester: Eur 1,600
Living costs for Msida
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.