Emphasis is placed on the teaching of diverse learners in urban and metropolitan settings.Specific objectives for students completing the M.A.Ed. program include:
- Expanding their skills and understandings in studio art production and contemporary art concepts;
- Developing their pedagogical skills and strategies as master teachers;
- Empowering them to integrate theory and best practices in their classrooms;
- Fostering their critical thinking skills and life-long learning as members of a professional community;
- Developing their leadership and advocacy skills to have an impact on students, classrooms, communities, schools, districts and professional organizations.
The graduate programs at the Ernest G. Welch School of Art & Design prepare students for competitive careers in contemporary art, art education, design and art entrepreneurship.
Highlights include one-on-one mentorship with an internationally acclaimed faculty, access to art institutions and creative publications, networking with high-profile artists, scholars and businesses, experience from conference to international art fair participation, artist residencies, as well as assistantships to develop practical skills and garner learning experience.
The Art Education M.A.Ed program from Georgia State University leads students to career paths such as graphic, interior and Web designers, multimedia artists, curators, gallery directors, museum and non-profit arts managers, art administrators, K-12 art teachers, art educators, art historians and writers, creative directors at advertising and marketing firms, props and set design fabricators, and art appraisers, among others.
- The Psychology of Learning and Learners: The Young Child
- Critical Pedagogy
- Multicultural Education
- Social and Cultural Foundations of Education
- Methods of Research in Education
- Seminar in Art Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Visual Arts Art History View 444 other Masters in Art History in United States
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Statement of Intent
- Portfolio: A successful portfolio demonstrates creativity and commitment in a cohesive body of work. The portfolio should contain two- and three-dimensional work. It should reflect basic skills in drawing and design and sufficient advanced skill in one area. Twenty images should be submitted if the applicant is not a practicing art educator. If the applicant is a practicing art teacher, a minimum of 10 images of personal studio work and up to 10 images of student work are acceptable. Under no circumstances should more than 20 images be submitted.
- An undergraduate major appropriate to the intended major.
- A high standard of overall undergraduate achievement, usually a grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.
- Proof of Tier 4 teaching certification (from Georgia or other state).
International30216 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15108 USD per semester during 12 months.
National30216 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15108 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State9552 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4776 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Atlanta
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.