The Reading Education program of The University of North Carolina at Charlotte is designed for classroom teachers, aspiring literacy specialists and others whose work involves literacy education who are interested in improving instructional programs and practices that promote literacy among all learners. We also have an Early Entry program for undergraduate education majors at UNC Charlotte who want to earn up to 12 hours towards the M.Ed. in Reading Education as part of their undergraduate coursework.
For teachers and other educational professionals seeking to advance their skills to meet the reading and litearcy needs of individuals and groups of students, the 12-hour Advanced Literacy Instruction & Intervention Certificate Program (ALII) is a great option! The ALII certificate prepares graduates to use of data to develop reading and writing instruction for all students but especially for striving readers and English Language Learners.
Why choose a UNC Charlotte Graduate Reading Education program?
- Provides K-12 teachers with skills in using data and current research on literacy to design and implement classroom literacy instruction and interventions. Our students can apply experiential requirements in their own school or classroom or community contexts, so they can apply research-based strategies in a real-world setting without having to leave their work responsibilities.
- The coursework is totally online, which allows our students flexibility and convenience in scheduling their studies and projects around their work and other commitments. No testing (i.e., MAT and GRE) required.
- Our faculty are nationally recognized, award-winning experts in the field. They have been recognized for their scholarship, excellence in teaching, community engagement and for their efforts to promote literacy at the local and national levels. They are mentors for our students not only in coursework but also in writing grant proposals and in the research process.
- Our program aligns with the standards for The International Literacy Association (ILA), a global advocacy and membership organization of 300,000 literacy educators, researchers, and experts across 78 countries, and are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- The University is consistently ranked among the top ten universities in the Southeastern USA, offering a wide range of resources and opportunities to help graduate students succeed.
- Trends and Issues in Literacy and Leadership
- Global Literacy in a Multicultural World: Genre Study
- Individualizing Instruction for Diverse Learners
- Teacher Inquiry and Data Analysis in the Elementary Classroom
- Diagnostic Assessment and Instruction in Reading
- Collaborative Leadership in Literacy Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Literature Teaching View 1185 other Masters in Education in United States
- A bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, from a regionally accredited college or university
- GPA of at least 3.00 (based on a 4.0 scale) on all previous work completed beyond high school (secondary school).
- An online application through the Graduate School’s application system for the M.Ed. in Reading (not required for the Certificate)
- A statement of purpose
- Transcripts of all college coursework attempted
- Official and satisfactory scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), if English is not the applicant’s native language and he or she has not earned a post-secondary degree from a U.S. institution
- Standardized test scores are NOT required for admission (e.g., GRE, GMAT, MAT). Test scores may be submitted as an option by applicants to provide additional information or supplement their application.
International11846 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5923 USD per semester during 12 months.
National11846 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5923 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State2890 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1445 USD per semester during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.