The Biomedical Sciences (Microbiology) course at the University of Malta is particularly intended for graduates in Medical Laboratory Science and related Life Sciences, but it is also intended for Medical graduates who wish to train in the various specializations offered or practice in other laboratory based clinical areas and gain experience in bio-medical research.
The various streams allow the candidates to specialize in one of the areas of studies. All streams offer an advanced course in Molecular Biology and Genetics and include as core subjects Research Methodology and Research Seminars. The seminars ensure that the candidates are aware of the research in the biomedical area within the University of Malta and other collaborating institutes.
The programme allows graduates to pursue further studies at doctorate level. The majority of graduates continued their studies locally and internationally. Graduates have also taken career opportunities at the Child Development Unit (psychologist), University of Malta (as research in funded projects) and Malta Council for Science and Technology (scientific policy).
The Malta College of Pathologists encourages and supports the pursuit of a postgraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences and successful graduates will benefit from a ONE year (1) exemption from the required Postgraduate Training Programme for such specialty.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Diagnostic Microbiology
- Molecular Techniques
- Research Methodology
- Molecular Biology and Genetics
- Medical Genetics Course
- Data Treatment and Probability
- Microbiology and Disease
- Food, Water and Environmental Microbiology
- Molecular Pathology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiomedicine Microbiology Molecular Sciences
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
The Course shall be open to applicants in possession of:
- a degree in Medicine and Surgery or
- the degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery or
- the degree of Master of Dental Surgery awarded from July 2018 onwards or
- any other degree in an area of study which the Board deems to be relevant, with at least Second Class Honours, including the degrees of Bachelor of Science of the Faculty of Science or the Faculty of Health Sciences, the degree of Bachelor of Pharmacy, the degree of Bachelor of Science (Pharmaceutical Science) and the degree of Bachelor of Psychology.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4466 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13400 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 36 months.
- Annual Enrolment Fee: Eur 400
- Yr 1: Eur 6,700 / Yr 2: Eur 6,700 / Yr 3: NIL
Living costs for Msida
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.