About this Degree
Master of Design in Sustainable Environments MDesSE students at Iowa State University and faculty constitute a highly interactive multi-disciplinary community that is deeply engaged in understanding, promoting and conceiving sustainable practices in design, planning and artistic production. Students engage in faculty-led research projects and are challenged to develop individual sustainable design strategies for issues of current relevance that conserve resources, ameliorate ecological problems and promote social, political and economic justice.
Coursework focuses on developing skills in modes of representation and information dissemination, foundational and emerging theoretical discourse, research methods and design interventions. The degree concludes with an integrated capstone experience through a student-defined thematic project. Capstone projects are situated in different parts of the world and include themes such as:
- addressing the impact of climate change on communities and the built environment;
- integrating informal economies within contemporary modes of urbanization;
- developing strategies to reinvigorate waterways and enhance water quality;
- integrating waste as a resource in contemporary infrastructures; and
- rethinking disaster mitigation processes that promote resilience, social equity and expedited relief.
The Master of Design in Sustainable Environments consists of 35 credits, typically distributed over three semesters (fall, spring and summer); however, students may choose to distribute these credits over four or five semesters.
- Sustainable Design Colloquium
- Foundation of Sustainable Design
- Making Resilient Environments
- Sustainable Design Studio
- Human Dimensions of Sustainability
- Methods for Sustainable Design
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 204 other Masters in Environmental Management in United States
- Academic Records,
- Statement of Purpose,
- Letters of Recommendation
International29124 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14562 USD per semester during 12 months.
National27428 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13714 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State11882 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5941 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Ames
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.