They have an appropriate breadth in their understanding of meteorology with a suitable specialization specialization. Graduates are able to undertake thorough research and explain the results in a scientifically reasonable fashion.
Student at Iowa State University are expected to complete MTEOR 542 (Physical Meteorology) and MTEOR 543 (Advanced Dynamic Meteorology I). In addition, students should take at least 4 courses from the list of graduate Meteorology electives or from outside the department according to the students’ professional goals and interests. Students without prior synoptic meteorology course work must complete MTEOR 511 and may substitute these credits in place of other elective courses.
Meteorology Graduate Learning Goals:
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of scholarly literature in the area of study.
- Form testable hypotheses and articulate research objectives that, when met, will lead to significant contributions to the field of study.
- Conduct qualitative and/or quantitative research via appropriate acquisition, analysis, and reporting of data.
- Interpret research results appropriately, integrating them into the existing knowledge in the discipline.
- Clearly and accurately communicate research findings orally and in writing, and often through the use images (tables, figures, and other forms of imagery) and electronic or other forms of media.
- Global Change
- Environmental Biophysics
- Mesoscale Meteorology
- Microwave Remote Sensing
- Instrumentation and Measurements
- Tropical Meteorology
- Physical Meteorology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- However, other applications will be reviewed as they are received.
DisciplinesClimate Studies & Meteorology Environmental Sciences View 68 other Masters in Climate Studies & Meteorology in United States
- Three letters of recommendation. Letters should be from instructors or employers familiar with your academic abilities, at least two letters should be from persons in your major field.
- For non-English speaking applicants, a minimum TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 530 PBT (Paper-based test), 197 CBT (Computer-based test), 79 IBT (Internet-based test), or 6.5 IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
- Statement of purpose describing research interests and future plans. This is part of and included in the online graduate application. Potential faculty mentors should be identified. Students will be admitted into the graduate program only if a faculty member agrees to serve as mentor.
- The GRE (Graduate Records Examination) for the verbal, quantitative, and analytical areas are required for evaluation of the application, except for students who have earned or are earning their B.S. in Meteorology at Iowa State.
International27380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13690 USD per semester during 12 months.
National25684 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12842 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State10140 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5070 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Ames
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.