Students opting for the MS degree can expect to spend two years meeting their requirements. Throughout the Biological Sciences program at Michigan Technological University, students will hone their research skills, write a thesis, and complete additional course work.
Program Strengths and Areas of Research Excellence
The Department of Biological Sciences has a number of areas of research excellence including health, ecology and environmental sciences, and biochemistry and molecular biology.
Faculty, scientists, and graduate students of various departments and research institutes maintain close working ties for interdisciplinary study and research. Some opportunities include work with:
- several campus research groups, which study environmental microbiology for bioremediation and other applications;
- the Aquatic Ecology Research Group, which includes the Fish Ecology Group and the Remote Sensing and Ecosystem Science Institute;
- the Lake Superior Ecosystems Research Center (LaSER), which studies basic ecosystem processes within the aquatic and terrestrial portions of the Lake Superior watershed;
- the Phototechnology Research Center, which focuses on biotechnology, physiology, pathology, and biochemistry of plants, using traditional approaches—as well as the latest advances in genetic engineering and molecular microanalysis;
- the Environmental Engineering Center, which studies groundwater, soil and sediment systems, air emissions, pollution control, and waste treatment; and
- the Diesel Research Group studies diesel emissions, including the effects of emission-control devices and the use of alternate fuels.
- Molecular Biology
- Advanced Evolutionary Ecology
- Plant Evolutionary Ecology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Molecular Sciences Ecology View 1272 other Masters in Biology in United States
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Résumé / Curriculum vitae
- Admitted applicants typically have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Prospective students are strongly encouraged to contact individual faculty members.
- GRE not required
- TOEFL: Recommended Minimum Score of 85 iBT
- Michigan Tech requires a minimum of 79 overall TOEFL or 6.5 overall IELTS score.
International23332 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23332 USD per year during 12 months.
National23332 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23332 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Houghton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.