Exposure to experts across the university and practitioners in the field will allow you to to further your networks and consider a multitude of post-graduation possibilities. You may find the MSc Comparative Education and International Development (CEID) at The University of Edinburgh is a suitable qualification if you are interested in:
- higher education internationalisation offices
- civil society and non-governmental organisations
- international organisations
- public sector.
In addition, the programme provides a good foundation for those that want to continue their studies and pursue a doctoral degree.
In the programme we adopt a social justice perspective, with our expert faculty sharing cross-national and cross-cultural examples from around the world, to help you understand how the global and local shape education policy and the role education plays in various aspects of development, including health, peacebuilding, and citizenship.
At the end of this programme, you will have a more critical understanding of the policies, politics, histories, ideas and cultural practices that influence education.
The programme also builds on the University of Edinburgh and Scotland’s desires to be responsible international actors, and takes advantage of Edinburgh as a capital city by connecting with the Scottish Parliament and local organisations in the CEID field.
The capstone approach to the dissertation allows you to apply to complete placement-based dissertations with local, regional, or global organisations.
As an academic programme, this degree has no fixed career trajectory, opening multiple, potential possibilities.
You may find the MSc CEID a suitable qualification if you are seeking a career in research, higher education internationalisation offices, civil society and non-governmental organisations, international organisations, or the public sector.
In addition, the programme provides a good basis for you to continue your studies and pursue a doctoral degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Education and International Development
- Sources of Knowledge: Understanding and analysing research literature
- Conceptualising research: Foundations, assumptions and praxis
- Education Policy and the Politics of Education
- Anthropology of Education and Learning
- Comparative Analysis in Education
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research International Development View 309 other Masters in Educational Research in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of Edinburgh and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant discipline such as Education, Demography, Global Studies, Public Policy, Regional Studies, Social Anthropology, Social Policy, Sociology, Political Science, International Relations, International Development, International Studies, Politics, Human Geography, Social Research, Economics, Public Health, Population Studies, Environmental Studies, or Environmental Sustainability. We may consider other subject areas if you have significant relevant work experience or a masters degree in a relevant subject area.
- In exceptional cases, we may also consider your application if you have substantial relevant work experience in place of academic qualifications; please contact us to check before you apply.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home: £6,250
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
In order for us to give you accurate scholarship information, we ask that you please confirm a few details and create an account with us.
Below you will find Master's scholarship opportunities for Comparative Education and International Development (CEID).
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships but a selection process will still be applied by the provider.