Students can choose from two concentrations namely Studio & Media Arts and Craft & Design. These two concentrations cover a wide range of creative practices from fine arts to applied arts; from individual expressions to socio-cultural applications to fulfill the needs of local and international creative talents
The Visual Arts MA from Hong Kong Baptist University structure consists of two types of courses with different emphases. The core courses introduce common knowledge and skills for practitioners in different visual arts disciplines as well as encourage interdisciplinary integration through combined group projects. The concentration-based courses provide tutorial supervision for students to investigate an identified issue/theme/creative approach in their respective creative practice. Students’ continuous development in the Concentration-based Courses will form the final creative project to be presented in the Graduation Exhibition.
- to nurture creative talents with contemporary research methodologies, in-depth professional knowledge and skills as well as cross-cultural and interdisciplinary awareness in diverse visual arts studio practices;
- to locate students’ artistic and academic practices in global and local socio-cultural contexts;
- to enable students to develop their own creative profiles according to their research interests in a specific visual arts discipline (their declared concentration); and
- to meet the growing demand for professional practitioners in the cultural and creative sectors in Hong Kong and beyond.
- Research Methodology for the Visual Arts
- Critically Engaged: Creative Practices in Context
- Studio & Media Arts/ Craft & Design Studio Project
- Visual Arts Theory & Criticism
- Arts & the Public: Interpretation & Presentation
- Studio Project
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Applicants should possess a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university or comparable institution, or an equivalent qualification.
- Applicants should have relevant experience in respective studio practice. A portfolio of past works (5-10 images of original artworks in digital format or photographs) has to be submitted with the application.
- Applicants have to declare their intended concentration (Studio & Media Arts or Craft & Design) as well as to submit a study proposal for the SMA/CD Studio Project in the admission exercise.
- HKID card (for local applicants); Passport or other identity documents of home country (for non-local applicants);
- Degree certificate(s)/graduation diploma(s) if graduated;
- Transcript(s) for academic qualification(s);
- Two reference letters;
- English proficiency test results;
- A study proposal for the Studio & Media Arts or Craft & Design Project.
International12852 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12852 USD per year during 12 months.
National12852 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12852 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.