Part of the Condensed Matter Physics from Hokkaido University department belongs to the cooperative graduate school with “National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS)” and “RIKEN”, which are the leading research institutions in Japan.
The laboratories in the field of “advanced functional materials and physics” and those in the field of “material science” are operated by researchers from NIMS and RIKEN, respectively. These laboratories accept doctoral students from our department. The students can study physics and take part in research projects within the excellent environment at NIMS and RIKEN.
Our department is further participating in an interdisciplinary education and research program provided by the “Center of Education & Research for Topological Science & Technology”.
Areas of study include:
- Electronic Properties of Solids
- JMaterial: Physics of Strongly Correlated Systems
- Electronic Properties of Low-dimensional Material
- Condensed Matter Dynamics
- Statistical Physics
- Mathematical physics
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Hokkaido University and/or in Japan, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Application Form and Resume
- Application Form for PreAssessment
- One photograph (for Resume)
- Official transcript issued by the last university or similar institution
- Certificate for Japanese or English proficiency
- Official certificate of graduation (or expected graduation)
- Passport copy
- Documents specified by each department
- Documents requested by a prospective supervisor
International3766 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3766 USD per year during 24 months.
National3766 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3766 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Sapporo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.