The School of Law and Social Sciences Graduate School provides a focal point for the management and support of our PhD and Professional Doctorate programmes. Research students who study at LSBU become a vital part of our dynamic research culture and are one of the essential elements which make LSBU an exciting intellectual environment.
A member of staff, expert in the chosen field, is directly responsible for guiding and supporting your research programme. As a research student in the Planning Studies and Tourism, Hospitality and Events programme at London South Bank University you'll become part of our thriving academic community. Explore the staff, facilities and more in the division of Urban, Environment and Leisure Studies.
Research skills development
All research students are required to participate in a Key Skills Development programme aimed at developing transferable skills in addition to those employed in carrying out research. Training in research methods is available through frequent research seminars.
When necessary the research student can follow, in part, relevant Masters courses available within the School and in particular units on research methodology. In some cases, research students are encouraged to follow other courses available within the University or externally aimed at improving their general expertise in their chosen areas.
In addition, they may be encouraged to follow language courses aimed at improving their oral and written skills - both essential in their future careers.
We are University of the Year for Graduate Employment for the second year in a row - The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018, 2019.
At LSBU, we want to set you up for a successful career. During your studies – and for two years after you graduate – you’ll have access to our Employability Service, which includes:
- An online board where you can see a wide range of placements: part-time, full-time or voluntary. You can also drop in to see our Job Shop advisers, who are always available to help you take the next step in your search.
- Our Careers Gym offering group workshops on CVs, interview techniques and finding work experience, as well as regular presentations from employers across a range of sectors.
Our Student Enterprise team can also help you start your own business and develop valuable entrepreneurial skills.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Possible research areas include:
- Urban public space
- Urban regeneration
- Urban design
- Comparative urban policy
- Territories and urban governance
- Rural places and governance
- Sustainability in the built environment
- Housing development
- Housing quality and standards
- Urban tourism
- Ecotourism tourism in less developed countries
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
January; April; September
DisciplinesHospitality Management Event Management Tourism & Leisure View 99 other Masters in Tourism & Leisure in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at London South Bank University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- When applying for a Research Degree Programme at LSBU you are expected to have a 2.1 honours degree, and a relevant Postgraduate qualification at Masters level would be beneficial.
- If you have the equivalent of lower second class honours you would also need a Postgraduate qualification at Masters level.
- You will also be required to show proof of all of your qualifications. If English is not your first language you will be expected to prove your competency in English, showing an IELTS score of at least 7.0 at postgraduate level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16900 GBP per year during 36 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
International undergraduate and postgraduate students scholarships:
- International Scholarships
- LSBU is offering scholarships and discounts to hundreds of students via our International Scholarships International Merit Scholarships
- We offer students pursuing undergraduate or postgraduate taught programmes with outstanding academic profiles a fee reduction of up to £4,000 on each full academic year's tuition fees.
- LSBU Loyalty Award
- We offer postgraduate Tuition Fee discounts for LSBU graduates progressing directly onto a postgraduate course and eligible alumni.
- ONCAMPUS London South Bank Merit Scholarship
- 25% fee reduction to ONCAMPUS London South Bank students progressing to university degree programmes.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.