Why study MSc/PGDip/PGCert Biomedical Science (Medical Microbiology) at Middlesex University?
This Biomedical Science (Medical Microbiology) MSc/PGDip/PGCert offered at the Middlesex University has a strong practical element, with an emphasis on developing the skills needed in a laboratory and gaining hands-on experience of diagnostic techniques. You will be able to study and learn within the University's specialist laboratories which include a microbiology lab, a modern, well-equipped cell culture facility and cutting-edge equipment such as MALDI-TOF mass spectrometers and flow cytometers.
The Biomedical Science courses at Middlesex have a burgeoning international reputation and the University's strong links with London hospital laboratories and Public Health England ensures that you will be studying the latest developments, practices and research. Our Centre for Investigative and Diagnostic Oncology has pioneered techniques for cancer diagnosis and treatment, including our breakthrough in the development of a vaccine for bladder cancer.
If you do not wish to study the full MSc, you can apply to the PGDip where you study only eight modules, omitting the Dissertation, or a PGCert where you study only four modules.
- You will have access to on-site molecular biology laboratory for techniques such as DNA sequencing, real-time PCR, electrophoresis and HPLC, as well as fully-equipped proteomics facilities
- The location gives you easy access to the British Library, the Science Museum, the Royal Institution and more
- The flexible timetable means you'll only spend two days a week at the University if you're studying full-time, or one day if you're part-time
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
- Biomedical science is the second largest profession registered by the Health Professions Council and there is a high demand for well-qualified graduates. The range of roles open to graduates is vast and many have gone on to work in medical or pharmaceutical research, in primary care in surgeries and clinics, or in the community, identifying health risks, educating people about infection prevention and helping to stop the spread of disease.
- Others have gone onto to in environmental health, investigating food poisoning outbreaks and ensuring that food and drink businesses meet health and hygiene standards. There are also opportunities in diagnostic laboratories within both the public and private sectors.
- If you're currently working in microbiology, this Masters programme will help you progress to a more senior position. You might also wish to explore your options in a research or academic career, or even complete further study at doctoral level.
- The course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science.
- Advanced Bioanalytical Techniques
- Biomedical Ethics and Law
- Control of Infectious Disease
- Experimental Design & Statistics
- Human Infectious Disease
- Infectious Agents
- Laboratory Diagnosis of Infectious Disease and Safety
- Laboratory Leadership and Management
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- We recommend applying as early as possible for your chosen postgraduate course to ensure you are granted a place.
DisciplinesBiomedicine Microbiology Health Sciences View 276 other Masters in Biomedicine in United Kingdom
- Applications from graduates with a 2:2 honours degree or higher in an appropriate subject are welcome
International14800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14800 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9600 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.