Why study MSc/PGDip/PGCert Biomedical Science (Haematology and Transfusion Science) at Middlesex University?
This Biomedical Science (Haematology and Transfusion Science) MSc/PGDip/PGCert programme offered at the Middlesex University has a strong practical element, with an emphasis on developing laboratory skills and gaining hands-on experience of diagnostic techniques. It also incorporates elements of microbiology and clinical biochemistry and you'll be able to study and learn within the University's specialist laboratories which include a modern, well-equipped cell culture facility, fully-equipped proteomics facilities and a microbiology lab. You will have access to a molecular biology laboratory for techniques such as DNA sequencing, real-time PCR, electrophoresis and HPLC. You'll also learn to use cutting-edge techniques such as MALDI-TOF mass spectrometers and flow cyto meters.
The Biomedical Science courses at Middlesex have a burgeoning international reputation and the University's strong links with London hospitals and NHS Laboratories ensures that you will be studying the latest developments, practices and research. Our Centre for Investigative and Diagnostic Oncology has pioneered techniques for cancer diagnosis and treatment, and the Haematology department is very active in research into blood cancers, HIV and AIDS.
If you do not wish to study the full MSc, you can apply to the PGDip where you study only eight modules, omitting the Dissertation, or a PGCert where you study only four modules.
- You'll have the opportunity to visit diagnostic laboratories
- The location gives you easy access to the British Library, the Science Museum, the Royal Institution and more
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module
Career OpportunitiesBiomedical science is the second largest profession registered by the Health Professions Council, and there is a high demand for well-qualified graduates. This course will equip you with the skills and expertise you need to work in a wide range of roles such as management, consultancy, lab supervision, or in international roles within hospitals, schools and universities. There are also opportunities in diagnostic laboratories within both the public and private sectors.
- The course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science.
- Advanced Bioanalytical Techniques
- Biomedical Ethics and Law
- Blood Analysis and Pathology
- Experimental Design and Statistics
- Laboratory Leadership and Management
- Research Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- We recommend applying as early as possible for your chosen postgraduate course to ensure you are granted a place.
DisciplinesBiomedicine Health Sciences Biochemistry View 1754 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Middlesex University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applications from graduates with a 2:2 honours degree, or equivalent qualification, in an appropriate subject are welcome.
- Applicants from other healthcare professions (registered nurse, clinical exercise physiologist, physiotherapist and medical practitioners) are also considered.
International14800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14800 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9600 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.