Publications from the Sociology programme at University of York are rated as internationally world leading and the impact of our research has the highest possible rating. We encourage PhD and MPhil applicants from all over the world to join us in one of the best Departments for sociological research in the UK.
- We have an excellent record of doctoral research
- Research in the Department is focussed around four research clusters and research units
- We have an international reputation for research excellence and methodical and theoretical innovation
- There is a significant concentration of research expertise within the department, and a number of research fellows and graduate students working in related projects
- You can choose whether to work with a particular member of staff on independent research or you can conduct your research within one of the department's research units. (You would still have a specific supervisor allocated to you)
- We are successful at generating substantial research income from national and international funding agencies
- We have a dedicated postgraduate research centre which includes desk, social and kitchen space helping to foster our postgraduate community.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureOur postgraduate research themes are richly varied, highlighting the department’s extensive research areas. Recent research areas have included:
- Feminism and agency
- LGBT Equality
- Digital communications and identities
- Sociology of health and illness
- Political Sociology
- Future studies
- Sociology of the paranormal
- Urban Sociology
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
In most cases, applications can be submitted year-round. However, we recommend that you apply as early as possible as some areas are particularly competitive.
DisciplinesSociology Counselling View 160 other Masters in Counselling in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Normally, you will have a good undergraduate degree in a social science discipline, or in a discipline related to the research area in which you intend to work.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18900 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4650 GBP per year during 24 months.
- UK Part-time: £2,325
- International/EU Part-time: £9,450
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.