The History of Art programme from University of York welcomes students from all backgrounds, with a great range of intellectual interests: students who seek an academic career, and those who require a further professional qualification; applicants who wish to extend their art-historical interests while pursuing other kinds of employment; and those who are seeking to develop an academic interest in their retirement.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- British art and architecture of the thirteenth to fifteenth centuries.
- Curating contemporary art; histories of exhibition-making and art institutions; contemporary art from the Global South
- Post-war and contemporary art history.
- The relationship between stained glass art and craft and the interactions between art history and conservation.
- British, American and European sculpture in its global contexts, c.1760-1914; queer theory; animal studies; the polar world.
- British architectural history, 1550-1900, particularly architectural drawing, the English baroque, and architecture and intellectual history.
- Early medieval / Anglo-Saxon art, the history of its study, and the area of medieval revival art.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
In most cases, applications can be submitted year-round. However, we recommend that you apply as early as possible as some areas are particularly competitive.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 586 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants should have a good 2.1 or 1st-class undergraduate degree, or equivalent; applicants for the PhD should also have or be currently completing an MA degree, and we normally require an MA dissertation mark, where one is awarded, of at least 65 or equivalent (where 50 is a bare pass and 70 or above is a distinction).
- Exceptions can be made for applicants with an unusual career profile, but who have substantial related experience.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18900 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4650 GBP per year during 24 months.
- UK Part-time: £2,325
- International/EU Part-time: £9,450
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.