Anthropology has contributed, both in theory and methodology as well as practically, community based and participatory approaches to deal with problems of development as well as public health. The syllabus of the Anthropology program at Savitribai Phule Pune University is oriented in such way that in 3rd and 4th semesters, student can opt for various courses that deal with issues of development and health. Further, students often choose to work for their Master’s dissertation on these issues as well as on more basic topics in Cultural and Biological Anthropology.
The syllabus covers basic and foundation courses in Anthropology in first two semesters. In the third semester, advanced courses are taught and the final semester syllabus is oriented towards applications of the discipline for welfare of the society. Further we offer 3 practical courses for hands on training and 2 field based researches viz. ethnographic fieldwork and master’s dissertation to M.A./M.Sc. students.
What you will learn
Recent developments in the field of Anthropological Theory is reflected in courses such as Urban Anthropology, Development Anthropology, and Medical Anthropology, that are not only relevant to national Development but also attract students, both national and international.
Issues related to condition and welfare of disadvantaged groups like Tribal people has always been the core area of anthropology. Keeping the same in mind we teach Tribal and Rural Development. In addition, advanced courses such as Development Anthropology, Complex Societies and Urban Development, Medical Anthropology are also taught.
- Social and Cultural Anthropology
- Social Research Methods
- Indian Society and Culture
- Biological Anthropology
- Archeological Anthropology
- Ethnographic Fieldwork
- Social Cultural Change
- Medical Anthropology
- Complex Societies and Urban Development
- Tribal and Rural Development
- Development Anthropology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree (Arts and Science) / marksheets - originals with photocopies
- Passport (first and last page copy)
- Visa copy
- Updated R.P. copy
- All documents need to be translated into English
- It is mandatory that the mark sheet is attested by the Ministry of Education or the Indian Embassy in your country or your Country Mission, i.e. your Embassy or Consulate in India.
- If the marksheet is from a Foreign University, an Association of Indian Universities (AIU) Equivalence Certificate is mandatory.
- English proficiency: all foreign students from non-English speaking countries have to take the English Proficiency Test (EPT)
International44 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 44 USD per year during 24 months.
National44 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 44 USD per year during 24 months.
- University entrance fee (International): $1097
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.