The Geology program at New Mexico State University offers excellent laboratory facilities for research in mineralogy, igneous petrology, geochemistry, stratigraphy, geochronology, and sedimentology. Available are a large, fully equipped rock preparation laboratory, mineral separation laboratory, plus computer, geochemical and petrographic labs. Major equipment includes a Gemeni heavy mineral separation table, a class 1000 clean lab, Thermal Ionization Mass Spectrometry (TIMS) and Laser-Ablation Multi-Collector Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (LA-MC-ICP-MS). The department maintains its own fleet of field vehicles. Also available are computing facilities that include an HP color plotter and GIS system. Financial support is available to graduate students in geology through teaching and research assistantships and scholarships. Inquiries regarding financial aid should be directed to the graduate advisor.
- Complete a minimum of 30 graduate credits, including a minimum of 6 credits for thesis (GEOL 599 Master's Thesis ).
- No more than 5 thesis credits may be taken in any one semester. Early selection of a research advisor is encouraged.
- A thesis proposal must be approved by the advisor and the candidate’s committee before registering for thesis credits.
- At least 15 credits must be earned in courses numbered 500 or above, and at least 15 credits must be earned in geology.
- Students are expected to participate in the department’s colloquium each semester.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Geology View 278 other Masters in Geology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at New Mexico State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants for admission to graduate study in the NMSU Department of Geological Sciences must have a Bachelor’s degree in geology or a closely related field.
- Admission to the graduate school is based on an evaluation of the student’s potential for satisfactory performance in the graduate program. Assessment is made on the basis of the applicant’s scholastic record, application essay, and letters of recommendation. We do not require the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).
International19032 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19032 USD per year during 12 months.
National19032 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19032 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State6189 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6189 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Las Cruces
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.