In the Heritage Management programme offered by Bath Spa University, you’ll explore how heritage sites are managed, presented and explained. We’ll teach you to consider their value beyond something to see or a place to visit.
What challenges are heritage bodies currently facing? What choices do they make in dealing with them? How will pressures on public funding for heritage in the UK – and further afield – shape our experience of visiting and working in museums and heritage sites in the future? And how will our wider understanding of heritage change as a result?
Trying to answer such questions provides a framework for practical work in the sector, underpinned by hands-on, supportive teaching. We want you to become involved in a range of projects, working with our extensive range of partners, and to gain experience on the ground.
Careers in the heritage sector include:
- Collections management
- Education and learning
- Exhibition planning and implementation
- Community engagement and outreach
- Marketing and fundraising
- Operational management
- Events planning
- Retail and visitor services.
The course includes a range of skills and opportunities aimed at those interested in the voluntary sector, social enterprises, fundraising, and a wide range of administrative and management roles.
Some of our graduates go on to complete postgraduate research, and we have a growing cohort of PhD students working in the field of heritage studies.
- Developing Heritage Thinking
- Policy, Strategy, Structures
- Heritage Management: Planning and Practice
- Understanding Current Practice (research project)
- Extended Placement or Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Late applications (generally those made after 31 July) will only be considered if places remain on the course.
DisciplinesManagement Studies Public Policy Environmental Sciences View 323 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
- We normally accept people who have a good first degree (2:1 or above) in any academic subject. You may be considered without a first degree, if you can demonstrate considerable relevant experience. You may be asked to attend an interview.
International15600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15600 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8065 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8065 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time - £4,033
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.