Sustainable development, land use planning and environmental monitoring is widely recognized and depends greatly on the availability and credibility of geospatial data such as digital maps, terrestrial surveys, aerial photographs and satellite imagery. The methods required for these types of investigations and analysis of the resulting databases, which link information to maps stored in digital form, constitute the field of Geographical Information Systems and Remote Sensing (GISRS).
University of Sharjah is well recognized as one of the leading centers in the area in the field of GISRS and related technologies (including spatial and non-spatial data survey, remote sensing, photogrammetry, Global Positioning Systems (GPS) and digital mapping. The MSc in Geographic Information Systems and Remote Sensing is an inherent component of this integrative geospatial initiative.
Upon the successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Explain the scientific and theoretical concepts of geospatial data analysis and modelling.
- Acquire process, analyse geospatial data, and appropriately display results.
- Apply GIS and RS knowledge and algorithms in solving environmental, urban, social and economic problems.
- Communicate both research and analysis results orally and in writing.
- Develop independent and collaborative research and conduct critical literature analysis.
- Identify the legal and ethical principles that govern geospatial profession and research work.
- Digital Cartography and Visualization
- Spatial Statistics
- Database Design and Development
- Geospatial Project Management
- GIS and Remote Sensing for Environmental Studies
- GIS for Urban Planning
- Web and Mobile GIS Applications
- Spatial Algorithms and Distributed Programming
- Big Data and Data Analytics
- 18 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesGeographical Information Systems (GIS) Data Science & Big Data Environmental Sciences View 6 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in United Arab Emirates
- The student must hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent from a recognized university with a CGPA of 3.00 out of 4.00. Students with a CGPA between 2.5 and 2.99 may be admitted conditionally.
- The degree must be in a major that qualifies the student to study the master's program.
- Attachment of ‘no objection certificate’ from the authorities responsible for national service for male Emirati students.
- Attachment of a letter of study approval from the Kuwait Embassy Cultural Office for Kuwaiti students only.
- Attachment of People of Determination card (if applicable).
- In case the student works in a certain place, please attach a letter from the employer stating that the student is working for this agency.
International15708 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 714 EUR per credit during 18 months.
National15708 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 714 EUR per credit during 18 months.
Living costs for Sharjah
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.