In this Biomolecular Sciences - Biological Chemistry programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the focus is on the interaction of cells, cellular structures and individual proteins with their "chemical environment".
Special focus will lie on the characterisation of new drug targets and tools to find small molecules as leads in the development of new medicines. Furthermore, the bioactivation of and cellular responses to drugs will get special attention.
This programme gives a thorough grounding in the subjects and methods of the Medicinal Chemistry and Molecular Toxicology as well as providing a solid preparation for one or more research internships.
Alternatively, you could use your skills and expertise in life sciences to work as a specialist in a life sciences or pharmacology company or organisation. You could become a medical product specialist, junior technical scientist, IT specialist and data scientist, or junior researcher at pharmaceutical companies and biotechnology startups.
You’ll also choose from a variety of electives, including:
- Drug-induced Stress and Cellular Responses
- Signal Transduction in Health and Disease
- Microbial Genomics
- Dynamics of Biomoleculars and Cells
- Chemical Biology
- Biomolecular Screening
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
The next VU Online Master's Event will take place on Saturday 5 March.
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Chemistry Biology View 10 other Masters in Chemical Engineering in Netherlands
- If you want to apply for a Master's programme at VU Amsterdam, the application procedure depends on your previous degree(s) and whether you obtained your diploma in the Netherlands or abroad. You find all information about the application procedure with a Dutch or international degree on the application page. Once you have completed the application, our International Student Advisors will contact you via email.
International15500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.