Are you interested in unravelling this by using machine learning, sequence analysis, computational models and/or systematic experiments? Then the Bioinformatics and Systems Biology - Bioinformatics programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is the programme for you.
Bioinformatics and Systems Biology is a joint degree Master's programme from VU Amsterdam and the University of Amsterdam (UvA). The programme teaches you to combine molecular and cell biology, computer science and mathematical modelling to integrate vast amounts of biological data into a fundamental understanding of life at the molecular level.
Bioinformatics deals with large-scale data analysis, like DNA-sequencing experiments. Programming, algorithms and machine learning are important elements. Bioinformatics is extensively used within the field of biomedicine, but also in many other areas of molecular biology.
With a Master’s degree in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, you are versatile. The qualities you have developed during the programme are relevant in many different positions, and you will have obtained many interdisciplinary and transferrable skills.
Programme StructureThese profile courses are compulsory for the Bioinformatics specialisation:
- Algorithms in Sequence Analysis
- Structural Bioinformatics
- Bioinformatics for Translational
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
The next VU Online Master's Event will take place on Saturday 5 March.
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics View 19 other Masters in Biotechnology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your Curriculum Vitae
- A motivation letter of at most one A4. This letter should contain one paragraph on why you would like to enrol into this programme. Most importantly, for each of the three key subjects Mathematics, Programming and Molecular Biology state your proficiency. Please clearly indicate which courses, programs or other activities prove sufficient training and background in these subjects. Also indicate on which of the three key subjects you will still need to follow training during the MSc.
- An official transcript of your academic grades, including your GPA.
- Proof of English proficiency (can also be provided after conditional admission).
- A description in English of the relevant courses followed in the three key subjects mentioned above and literature used during your previous higher education.
International15500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.