Geologists study the Earth's physical, chemical and biological processes, composition and interaction in a systematic spatio-temporal manner. They provide information to society for use in solving problems and establishing policies for resource management, environmental protection, public health, safety, and welfare.
A M.Sc. Geology degree from Savitribai Phule Pune University enables students to qualify for all job areas including petroleum, mining, hydrogeology, environment, geotechnical services apart from the government jobs in geology (Geological Survey of India through UPSC, ONGC, IBM, AMD, CIL etc. and other state departments).
This is because the M.Sc. Geology qualifies the classical as well as applied topics like mineralogy, crystallography, petrology (igneous, metamorphic, sedimentary), geophysics, remote sensing, geochemistry, paleontology, Quaternary geology, stratigraphy, structural geology, geochronology, geomorphology, engineering geology, hydrogeology, surface-water hydrology, geodynamics and plate tectonics, economic geology, petroleum geology, planetary geology, and oceanography.
- A post graduate in geology is proficient in identification of rocks and minerals, preparing and reading the geological maps, understanding the origin and ages of the rocks.
- They are familiar with undertaking field and laboratory investigations combined with teamwork, documentation and preparation reports. As a result they can become a good asset to mining, geotechnical and NGO jobs.
- With little experience they can start their own consultancy services like groundwater survey, rain water harvesting, landscaping, geotechnical survey and retrofitting, EIA, small scale mining, geotextile applications, soil investigations and remediation, excavations, mapping and total station survey, GIS-remote sensing work etc.
- Principles of Stratigraphy and Paleontology
- Physics and Chemistry of the Earth
- Metamorphic Petrology
- Structural Geology and Tectonics
- Geomorphology and Remote Sensing in Geology
- Indian Stratigraphy
- Exploration Methods in Geology
- Natural Resource Management
- Computer Applications in Geology
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Savitribai Phule Pune University and/or in India, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Graduates in Geology are eligible for admission to the Post Graduate course M.Sc. Geology.
- The admissions for M.Sc. Course are made through the Entrance Test during the month of June.
- English proficiency: all foreign students from non-English speaking countries have to take the English Proficiency Test (EPT)
International889 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 889 USD per year during 24 months.
National178 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 178 USD per year during 24 months.
- Students from Maharashtra: ₹7,974
- Outside Maharashtra: ₹14,374
- Foreign students: ₹72,000
- Entrance fee (International): $1097
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.