This Classics and Ancient Civilizations (Joint Degree UvA-VU) - Classics programme is offered jointly by Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and the University of Amsterdam – combining their expertise in Archaeology, Ancient History and Classics in the Amsterdam Centre for Ancient Studies and Archaeology (ACASA).
Strengths of the programme
- The collaborating universities are leading research universities in Europe
- You will gain a world-class, interdisciplinary education
- Opportunity to follow your own interests in research projects
- Teaching in small classes
Start workingYou can start working, using your in-depth knowledge and academic skills, in areas like arts management, commercial research, or the broader cultural sector – including museums, archives, journalism, publishing and cultural tourism.
- Block 1: Story vs. History: Rhetoric & Propaganda (interdisciplinary course)
- Block 2: The Ancient World & Modern Theory: The Female Perspective (interdisciplinary course)
- Block 1: The Language of Literature: How to Make a Myth? (specialization course Classics)
- Block 2: Echoing Texts and Themes: Medea, Intertextual Heroine (specialization course Classics)
- Block 1: Politics and Society: Republican Rome and the Creation of Empire (specialization course Ancient Studies)
- Block 2: Religion and Society: From Constantine to Muhammad (specialization course Ancient Studies)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
The next VU Online Master's Event will take place on Saturday 5 March.
DisciplinesHistory General Studies & Classics View 67 other Masters in History in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The admission requirements are:
- For the specialization Classics, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in Classics from an accredited university;
- For the specialization Ancient Studies, you must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university and must have taken academic courses equivalent to at least one full-time semester of academic studies (30 EC) in Classics, Ancient Studies, Archaeology or History (with demonstrable relationship to Ancient Studies).
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2314 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2314 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.