About the Program
The Screenwriting program of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) challenges students to succeed through risking failure, to engage with other art forms in order to better understand the art of screenwriting, to cultivate a curiosity in global art, to develop critical thinking skills to aid in the analysis of their scripts, and to provide an ethical foundation in building a career path.
Students build their thesis portfolio by concentrating either on feature film or television writing, though students are encouraged to, and often do take, workshops in both concentrations. Our faculty work across the film, television and digital media landscapes and offer guidance and wisdom informed by their many years as working professionals.
The UCLA TFT Screenwriting program has provided a strong foundation for hundreds of alumni, including Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night), Dustin Lance Black (Milk), Steven Canals (Pose), Francis Ford Coppola (The Godfather), Laeta Kalogridis (Shutter Island, Altered Carbon) David Koepp (Spider Man), Josefina Lopez (Real Women Have Curves), Alexander Payne (Nebraska), David S. Ward (The Sting), Eric Roth (Forrest Gump) and Caroline Williams (Miss/Guided).
- Film and Television Writing
- Adaptation for Screen
- Film and Other Arts
- Visual Analysis
- European Film History
- American Film History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Creative Writing View 330 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United States
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Satisfy the University of California’s Graduate Admission Requirements
- Complete equivalent to a 4-year U.S. Bachelor’s Degree
- Statement of Purpose
- Creative portfolio: a Competed Feature-length Screenplay (90-130 Page Max), an Original Hour-long Drama Pilot (50-65 Page Max), an Original Half-hour Comedy/dramedy Scripts (Each 40 Page Max)
- Unofficial copies of all Transcripts
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Any international applicant whose first language is not English must certify proficiency in English when applying to UCLA, and, if admitted, upon arrival
- U.S. immigration law requires that international applicants, if admitted, show documented evidence that sufficient funds to cover all tuition, fees, transportation, and living expenses are available for the first year of their studies at UCLA
International32858 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32858 USD per year during 24 months.
National32858 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32858 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State17456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17456 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Beverly Hills
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.