About the Program
Prospective students should indicate their preferred track, study rationale and career goals as part of the Personal Statement at the time of application. The tracks are described below:
Integrated Degree Track (referred to as the M.A.-I.D. track on the application): The M.A./Ph.D. track of the Cinema and Media Studies program of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) emphasizes core area coursework in film and media history, theory and analysis as a preparation and foundation for doctoral study (at UCLA or another institution). This academically rigorous program is designed to move students into doctoral work after one year; however students can extend their studies for up to seven quarters.
Professional Track (referred to as the M.A.-R.P. track on the application): The M.A. Professional track offers an M.A. degree for those seeking expertise in critical analysis and research in formal preparation for a range of emerging careers in public and professional fields. The M.A. Professional track directly responds to the new interdisciplinary and intermedial nature of contemporary film, television and digital media and provides support for those interested in careers in film festivals/media programming, film/media criticism, media archives and media industries research.
Students in this track are encouraged to enroll in internships and proseminars, which are courses specifically tailored to building the skills necessary for work in the field and are highly encouraged to take advantage of our professional internship opportunities which capitalize on UCLA’s unique geographical position within the film and media industries in Southern California.
- Text & Context in an Intermedia Age
- Historiography: Media, History and the Archive
- Digital Cinematography
- Film Editing: Overview of History, Technique, and Practice
- Media and Ethnicity
- Contemporary Topics in Theater, Film, and Television
- 9 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Media Studies & Mass Media View 277 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United States
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Satisfy the University of California’s Graduate Admission Requirements
- Complete equivalent to a 4-year U.S. Bachelor’s Degree
- Statement of Purpose
- Sample of Scholarly Writing
- Unofficial copies of all Transcripts
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Any international applicant whose first language is not English must certify proficiency in English when applying to UCLA, and, if admitted, upon arrival
- U.S. immigration law requires that international applicants, if admitted, show documented evidence that sufficient funds to cover all tuition, fees, transportation, and living expenses are available for the first year of their studies at UCLA
International32858 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32858 USD per year during 9 months.
National32858 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32858 USD per year during 9 months.
In-State17456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17456 USD per year during 9 months.
Living costs for Beverly Hills
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.