The African and African Diaspora Studies program from University of Wisconsin Milwaukee is a two-year interdisciplinary graduate degree that offers students the opportunity to develop strong theoretical knowledge, receive adequate training in research methods, become familiar with multidisciplinary analytical frameworks, while being exposed to the broad fundamental principles that guide the field of AADS.
What you'll learn
The program’s multidisciplinary scope and diverse analytical/methodological approaches make it conducive to both domestic and foreign students with different backgrounds. Thus, students can specialize in various fields, involving a wide array of subjects relating to African development/underdevelopment, public policy, race/ethnicity, history, culture, and society.
- Theories and Methods in Empirical Research in African & African Diaspora Studies
- Classic Works: Intellectual Production in Africa and the Diaspora I
- Black Literary Theory and Cultural Studies
- Urban Violence
- African Religious Thought and Social Organizations
- African American Urban History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Language Studies View 159 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in United States
- Undergraduate or graduate degree with a minimum GPA of 2.75
- A personal statement of purpose/interest
- A writing sample
- Three letters of recommendation
- Please note that the GRE is encouraged, but not required to be considered for admission to the MA program.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 24 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25650 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12220 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Milwaukee
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.