Modules with the explicit objective to acquire research skills and to work in a small team are taught in Research Labs 1-3. The first two are specialisation classes related to research projects by ACASA Archaeology staff and focus either on European or Mediterranean archaeology.
The third Research Lab may take the form of an individual research assignment or an internship. Internships can be offered in collaboration with the Allard Pierson Museum, the City of Amsterdam, Dutch Heritage Institutions or the 4D Research Lab. It is also possible to connect the Research Labs to the research of your Master’s Thesis (Blocks 4-6) in order to specialise thoroughly.
The Master’s thesis is an important part of the programme, enabling you to conduct original research under the supervision of one of the staff members. The subject of the thesis must be mutually agreed upon by the student and the academic adviser. A Master thesis seminar is offered to prepare you for the assignment. Thanks to the cooperation between the two universities a wide array of topics are available for supervision.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureEuropean Archaeology courses
- Problem Definition and Design (European Archaeology)
- Data Collection and Analysis (European Archaeology)
- Publication and Dissemination (European Archaeology)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesArchaeology History View 67 other Masters in History in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
The Master’s programme Archaeology is open for application to students with a Bachelor’s degree in:
- Archaeology, or
- Geo-archaeology, Ancient Studies, Anthropology, History (with demonstrable relationship to Ancient Studies), or a similar degree programme with a minimum of 30 ECTS (equivalent to a full-time semester of academic studies) taken in the field of Archaeology.
You must demonstrate the following knowledge, understanding and skills:
- Knowledge and understanding: knowledge and understanding of current research methods and theories within the field of Archaeology or Ancient Studies
- Knowledge and understanding: basic knowledge and understanding of the material culture and historical frameworks of Mediterranean or European Archaeology
- Skills: the ability to carry out a survey of (material) sources and secondary literature and to derive from this a ‘status quaestionis’
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16060 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16060 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2209 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2209 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.