The microstructures of solids at various levels, especially the defects, profoundly influence the mechanical, electronic, chemical, and biological properties of solids. The phenomenological and mechanistic relationships between the microstructure and the macroscopic properties of solids are, in essence, what materials science is all about. This is best represented by the “materials science triangle”: synthesis-microstructure-properties.
The Materials Science program of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is concerned with studying the design, fabrication, and testing of engineering materials. Such materials must simultaneously fulfill dimensional properties, quality control, and economic requirements. Several manufacturing steps may be involved: primary fabrication, such as solidification or vapor deposition of homogeneous or composite materials; secondary fabrication, including shaping and microstructural control by operations such as mechanical working, machining, sintering, joining and heat treatment and testing, which measures the degree of reliability of a processed part, destructively or non-destructively.
- Physics of Materials
- Principles of Electronic Materials Processing
- Materials Science of Thin Films
- Deposition Technologies and Their Applications
- Fracture of Structural Materials
- Advanced Composite Materials
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Electrical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 317 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United States
The minimum requirements for admission to graduate study at UCLA are:
- A bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline, mathematics, or physics (NO EXCEPTIONS)
- A GPA of 3.0 in the last two years of undergraduate coursework
- GRE test scores (can be waived for well qualified applicants–please e-mail to inquire)
- TOEFL/IELTS (Required for international applicants)
- A degree in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics, chemistry, or the equivalent
- A GPA above the UCLA minimum threshold
- Alternatively, if your GPA is very close to the UCLA threshold, please provide: strong GRE test scores, outstanding letters of recommendation addressing your work experience in the area, exceptional grades in graduate courses within the chosen area of study (A- or better)
International32858 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32858 USD per year during 12 months.
National32858 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32858 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State17456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17456 USD per year during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.