- The department at the Panjab University has grown into a well-recognized Centre for higher learning and research in structural, functional and evolutionary aspects of Plants. In fact, this is the only Botany Department in the country, which has the necessary expertise to attend to all plant groups. While the contributions have been tremendous in the understanding of fundamentals of Plant Sciences, the department has also kept pace with the changing national priorities.
- Some of the major areas of research in the department are: improvement and propagation of economically important plants (orchids, bamboos, ferns, trees); mushroom cultivation; identification of eco-friendly herbicides and pesticides; evaluation and conservation of plant biodiversity; and importance of microbes in human welfare. The department attracts students for Undergraduate and Postgraduate studies and Doctoral research from within and outside the country. In addition to teaching through modern techniques, seminars, symposia, workshops, invited lectures and botanical excursions are an integral part of academic programme of the department.
- The department has a well-stocked Library with nearly 6,444 books and over 21 regular scientific journals. A Central Instrumentation Lab, with two technical experts for maintenance, caters to the research needs of the faculty and the students.
- The department also houses an internationally recognized Herbarium (abbreviated as PAN) and a Museum. National and foreign research workers consult the Herbarium with a rich collection of Bryophytes, Ferns, Gymnosperms and Angiosperms and it also provides exchangeable loan facility of specimens. Algal and Fungal Herbarium is an added attraction of the department.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- M.Sc. Botany
- Every candidate must apply for the Reserved / Additional Category(ies) to which he/she belongs to in the Admission Form. All candidates will be considered in the General Category irrespective of the fact that they have claimed for admission under Reserved/ Additional Categories. No candidate shall be considered for admission against any Reserved Category (ies) for which he/she has not applied.
- All information relating to admission shall be uploaded on the Online Notice Board of the concerned department as well as on the Physical Notice Board.
International171 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 171 USD per year during 12 months.
National171 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 171 USD per year during 12 months.
- Rs. 12713
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.