The Social and Public Policy course at Savitribai Phule Pune University deals with government interventions, affirmative actions; education, health, housing, labour and social protection & services for living a good life for many. The second part on economy and development focuses on critical problems that confront people at large and explore various planning and policy interventions to address or manage them.
Students learn about key principles of socio-economic development, approaches to address major challenges that we face as a society. They develop skills to critically analyze public and social policy using lens of gender and caste. Policy analysis is essential to make democracy stronger with government accountability to the citizens.
The course offers training in policy development and its implementation based on the tools like statistical analysis and economic models. Looking for data in India is tougher; there are many challenges in data: integrity, integration and intelligence. Data is not available, and when available it is not of acceptable accuracy or outdated and old. Data authenticity is another challenge; course will give you exposure to requisite data sources and digital tools.
The need of policy analysts is felt at all levels of governance: union, state, and local levels and all the organs of governance like: executive, legislative, and judiciary. Most of the businesses and non-profit organisations including think tanks recruit policy analysts. Political analysis is also social and political activity and it helps the advocacy of social and economic issues. As the policy analysts are needed by various organisations, there is a great scope for employability.
As the policy analysts are needed by various organisations, there is a great scope for employability. In India, a very few universities offer such courses, but all over the world prestigious universities like Harvard and Oxford offer this degree. This degree is very competitive. Savitribai Phule Pune University can extend its collaboration with governmental and non-governmental agencies. It can also develop a robust policy research centre that can offer research and inputs to various agencies.
- Indian Constitution, Law and Public Policy
- The Economics of Public Policy Analysis
- Data Science for Public Policy
- Indian Society and Culture
- Indian Policy Makers and History of Social Policies
- Politics of Policy Making
- Social and Urban Policies – Case Studies
- Democracy, Politics and Institutions
- National Security and Foreign Policies
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Savitribai Phule Pune University and/or in India, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor's degree (1st, 2nd & 3rd year) marksheets - originals with photocopies
- Passport (first and last page copy)
- Visa copy
- Updated R.P. copy
- All documents need to be translated into English
- It is mandatory that the mark sheet is attested by the Ministry of Education or the Indian Embassy in your country or your Country Mission, i.e. your Embassy or Consulate in India.
- If the marksheet is from a Foreign University, an Association of Indian Universities (AIU) Equivalence Certificate is mandatory.
- English proficiency: all foreign students from non-English speaking countries have to take the English Proficiency Test (EPT)
International369 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 369 USD per year during 24 months.
National369 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 369 USD per year during 24 months.
- Fees: INR 30000/- per year
- University entrance fee (International): $1097
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.