About the Program
The Asian American Studies program of the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) provides students with an interdisciplinary analytical lens to explore the historical and cultural experiences of Asian and Pacific Islanders in the United States.
Faculty members bring a wide range of expertise and theoretical approaches to the graduate cohorts: from traditional disciplines of applied social sciences to emerging fields of digital media and informatics, with an emphasis on combining quantitative with qualitative methods, empirical and speculative inquiry, and on developing comparative and cross-cutting approaches to understanding of the range and complexity of Asian and Pacific Islander American experiences. Below is a sampling of the topics currently worked on by Asian American faculty in teaching and research: foundational concerns of ethnic studies, critical race theory, environmental justice, queer diaspora, food culture, social documentary, South-North relations in literature, civil engagement, and Asian American religion.
Our faculty works closely with graduate students and favors participatory models of pedagogy that emphasize field work and collective efforts. Graduate students are encouraged to consult their faculty advisers throughout their stay in the program, especially in developing projects that both reflect their own interests and contribute to their completion of the M.A. degree.
- Historical Perspectives on Asian and Pacific Islander American Communities
- Critical Approaches to Emerging Issues in Asian and Pacific Islander American Studies
- Critical Issues in Asian and Pacific Islander American Literature and Culture
- Critical Issues in Asian and Pacific Islander American Studies Methods
- Asian American Research Methods
- Asian American Jurisprudence
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Language Studies View 159 other Masters in Ethnic Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants are also expected to present evidence of their previous interest in Asian American Studies, such as courses taken at the undergraduate level, research papers written independently or for related classes, or work experience in an Asian or Pacific Islander American community
- Statement of Purpose: should address your reasons for pursuing an M.A. degree in Asian American Studies, past and present experiences within the field, and your involvement with the Asian American community. The statement of purpose should be approximately 1-page (500-word limit)
- Writing Sample
- Three letters of recommendation are required
- GRE scores are not required for the application, but if they are submitted, they may be evaluated with your entire file
- All international applicants whose first language is NOT English are required to certify their proficiency in English
International33245 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33245 USD per year during 24 months.
National33245 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33245 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State18143 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18143 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Beverly Hills
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.