The Master of Biotechnology offered at the University of Queensland is designed for scientists who want to update their technical skills in core areas such as molecular biology, protein technology or bioinformatics, or acquire research laboratory experience.
The program also suits legal or business professionals with some scientific background who want to learn about the latest technological developments.
For your two years of full-time studies, you'll select from more than 30 courses, allowing you to tailor your studies to suit your interests and career goals.
Specialise in Agricultural Biotechnology to discover how to meet environmental and food security challenges with gene editing, genomics, proteomics, recombinant DNA technology, bioinformatics and disease diagnostics. Alternatively, you can choose electives in molecular genetics, food microbiology, entrepreneurship and strategy, intellectual property, drug discovery and development, immunology and infectious diseases, and more.
- Gain an internationally recognised qualification through UQ's Masters of Biotechnology Program, accredited by the US Council of Graduate Schools (Washington DC) as a Professional Science Master's program.
- Learn from entrepreneurial scientists who have successfully commercialised their scientific discoveries.
- Take advantage of a large suite of electives in science that underpin new biotechnologies.
Career possibilitiesPostgraduate study can take you anywhere. Here are some of the careers you could be on your way to:
- Plant breeding and engineering specialist
- Nanotechnology and biosensor application specialist
- Diagnostic test developer
- Business plan analyst
- Pharmaceutical producer
- Directed Studies in Molecular Genetics
- Directed Studies in Biomolecular Structure & Function
- Paper Critique
- Commercialisation of Biotechnology Products
- Quality Management Systems in Biotechnology
- Issues in Biotechnology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biotechnology View 38 other Masters in Biotechnology in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS CODE 057055C
- a bachelor honours degree (or equivalent) in biotechnology, science, bioinformatics, pharmacy or engineering; or
- a bachelor's degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field, incorporating a major research project, or
- an additional postgraduate qualification, incorporating a major research project, or
- other significant research experience.
You must have a grade point average (GPA) of 5.0 on a 7-point scale, in your previous qualification.
International41936 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41936 AUD per year during 12 months.
National30710 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30710 AUD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Brisbane
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.