- The English programme is offered at the Panjab University.
- It has a well-equipped Language Lab with multi-media audio-visual systems and computers. In addition, there is a rich library that stocks the latest books and journals with special emphasis on Cultural Studies. Apart from imparting instruction at the Masters, the Department is also running MPhil and PhD degrees focusing on thrust areas of Popular Culture, Gender, Race, Media and Television studies as reflected in literature across the world. The Department also caters to the needs of language-teaching of various other social science and science departments of the University.
- The Department enrols about 250 students every year for the Master's degree. There is a Literary Society called 'The Three Hundred' that organizes literary events from time to time. Yearly seminars and conferences are held under the aegis of the Special Assistance Programme (SAP) grant which the Department receives from the UGC. Visiting Scholars, English Proficiency Courses for International and Indian Students, Workshops and Film Festivals add to the rigorous academic environment. Alumni meets, Blood Donation Camps, Tree Plantation and Swachh Bharat Abhiyan Cleanliness Drives, Student Excursions are regular initiatives of the Department. In addition, we house a heritage Mulk Raj Anand Auditorium - a venue for the students to showcase their performative skills.
- The Department organizes curricular and extra-curricular activities for the students, including Quiz Contests, Seminars, Declamation Contests, Group Discussions and annual play productions. We bring out a bi-annual refereed research journal, Dialog, which has a distinguished Advisory Board comprising of national and international academics. The faculty of the Department is actively engaged in research pursuits and each member has authored several books and research papers. The faculty includes several highly visible academics who have travelled extensively both nationally and internationally for academic research as well as for attending conferences and seminars. At the same time, they contribute towards various administrative needs of the university and to the running of the home institution.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 36 other Masters in Language Studies in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- M.A. Degree with 55%Entrance Test and Merit as per university rules.
- Wherever for admission, Bachelor’s Degree is the minimum requirement, it shall mean the first degree obtained under 10+2+3 scheme. The first degree obtained under the old scheme (14-year course) till April, 1995 will be treated at par with the first degree under 10+2+3 scheme for the purpose of admission to these courses.
- Every candidate must apply for the Reserved / Additional Category(ies) to which he/she belongs to in the Admission Form. All candidates will be considered in the General Category irrespective of the fact that they have claimed for admission under Reserved/ Additional Categories. No candidate shall be considered for admission against any Reserved Category (ies) for which he/she has not applied.
- All information relating to admission shall be uploaded on the Online Notice Board of the concerned department as well as on the Physical Notice Board.
International145 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 145 USD per year during 12 months.
National145 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 145 USD per year during 12 months.
- Rs. 4302/- at the time of admission, Rs 3762/ - IInd Semester Fees, Rs 2700/- Examination fees for each semester.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.