- It was redesignated as Bachelor of Library Science from the academic session 1968-69 and as Bachelor of Library & Information Science (1 Year Course) from the academic session 1988-89. The University instituted the Master of Library Science (1 Year Course) from the academic session 1970-71, which was re-designated as Master of Library & Information Science from the academic session 1988-89. Keeping in view the recommendations of the Curriculum Development Committee of the U.G.C., a Two-Year Integrated Course leading to Masters of Library & Information Science was started with effect from the academic session 2003-04. The Library and Information Sciences programme is offered at the Panjab University.
- From the Academic Session 2016-17, the Department has reverted back to offering Bachelor of Library & Information Sciences (1 Year Course) and Master of Library & Information Sciences (1 Year course). Ph.D. in Library Science was introduced from the academic session 1972-73, which was also redesignated as Ph.D. in Library and Information Science from the academic session 1988-89.
- The Department offers Bachelor's and Master's in Library & Information Science along with Ph.D. programme. The programmes are based on the practices and underlying theories of information acquisition, organization, dissemination and utilization. On completion of the courses, the students demonstrate the values, attitudes, and behaviours associated with the roles and responsibilities of information and library professionals in accordance with the market oriented employment.
- The mission is not simply to ensure that each student gains adequate employment, but to prepare graduates to assume responsible positions in libraries and information centers. Faculty is expected, through their instructional, research, and service activities, to contribute tangibly to the development of the knowledge base that makes Library and Information Science a discipline as well as a profession. Our, mission is in line with the mission of the university and aim to make it a better place for teaching and learning.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor of Library & Information Science(s) with 50% (45% for SC/ST/BC/PWD)
International228 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 228 USD per year during 12 months.
National228 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 228 USD per year during 12 months.
- Rs. 16855
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.