- It seeks to interrogate the entire system of socio-economic- political and cultural subordination of women as well as influence, reshape and recast dominant ideologies. It visualizes itself as a catalyst to transform an unjust, inegalitarian society into one where gender justice and equality would be the norm. The Women's Studies and Development programme is offered at the Panjab University.
- The Department has been conceived as "an instrument of social engineering" in bringing about both academic and social development. It seeks to bring to the University the new scholarship that has emerged from the inquiries into the causes and consequences of inequality and oppression of women and is to serve as a nucleus and a source of ideas, information and inspiration. The aim is to create and maintain a teaching/learning environment for feminist and gender studies, and provide an impetus for sustaining a research community that contributes to the development of women's and gender scholarship within the two-thirds world/Indian context. The trine objectives are to create awareness, to intellectually equip students and to empower all.
- Teaching, Training, Research, Extension, Dissemination, and Advocacy are the core activities. It serves as a resource and nodal Centre for the region and true to its mandate, has developed as a strong academic Centre of teaching and learning, generating new thinking and knowledge on feminist theory and initiating courses in women's studies.
Programme StructureA few significant aspects of the teaching programme:
- The Department-cum- Centre, through its teaching programme not only sensitises the students to gender issues and attempts to ensure a commitment to the empowerment of women, it also provides training in various skills through its curricula. The emphasis is on Practical skill training in Project formulation, designing, monitoring, budget formulation and analysis as well as on research training normally given in Research degree courses such as M.Phil.
- Where students are concerned, the focus is on quality not on quantity, and the Department-cum- Centre is pleased to report that the students who are graduating from the Department-cum- Centre are indeed thoroughly infused with the fundamentals of women's studies, so much so that they can be likened to candles lighting the path for others.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Gender & Sexuality Studies View 7 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree in any faculty with at least 50% marks in the aggregate. OR B.A. (Hons.) in Women's Studies or B.SC. (Hons.) OR Master's degree in any faculty, or B.A. (Pass) with at least 45% marks in Women's / Gender Studies or Public Administration or Political Science, or History or Economics, or Sociology or Psychology or Gandhian Studies or Geography or Philosophy or Human Rights & Duties.
International213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 213 USD per year during 24 months.
National213 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 213 USD per year during 24 months.
- Rs. 15734
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.