The curriculum of the Exercise Medicine (Oncology) degree from Edith Cowan University offers students understanding of the disease processes; various treatments currently being applied (e.g. surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy and immunotherapy), effects of cancer and treatment side-effects in terms of physical structure and function, development of other disease processes (e.g. metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular disease, sarcopenia and osteoporosis), and the psychological impacts of the disease and treatments (e.g. anxiety, depression, fear of recurrence, self-care).
Learning outcomesThis course provides graduates with specialised knowledge and skills in the principles of health and fitness testing, exercise prescription development and program implementation, as well as understanding current best-practice in exercise medicine for cancer patients and survivors.
The two-week on-site practicum offers students the opportunity to apply theoretical concepts in targeted exercise for the management of cancer.
Graduates of this program will be well-placed to contribute to the growing demands of using exercise to contribute to cancer management and survivorship care.
- Physical Activity, Exercise and Cancer
- Contemporary Cancer Treatments
- Physiological Consequences of Cancer Treatment
- Cancer Biology
- Psycho-Oncology: The Science of Care
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
We recommend you apply as soon as you can. It's best to receive an offer as early as possible so you can prepare for orientation and semester start.
DisciplinesBiology Health Sciences Sports Sciences View 22 other Masters in Sports Sciences in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants are required to have an AQF Level 7 Bachelors degree in a cognate discipline, or an AQF Level 8 Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in a cognate discipline, with equivalents considered.
- Academic admission requirements (Band 8) may be satisfied through completion of one of the following:
- Bachelor degree in a cognate discipline; or
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years relevant professional experience.
- IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0);
- Bachelor degree from a country specified on the English Proficiency Bands page;
- Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent);
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years relevant professional experience; or
- Other tests, courses or programs defined on the English Proficiency Bands page.
International34950 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 34950 AUD per year during 18 months.
National22950 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22950 AUD per year during 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.