TED aims to develop a high level of intellectual and practical mastery of the analysis and design of diverse rural and urban environments in the region, with broader implications for global contexts. The approach of this specialism is based on an understanding of the socio-cultural dynamics of the regional context transferred into new design strategies and design interventions.
The Transitional Environments Design program from PolyU Design draws on the contemporary Hong Kong/ Chinese rural and urban experience in the context of the Greater Bay Area. It offers a unique postgraduate education in rural and urban space design.
In line with the School's critical approach to environment and ecological design, this tailormade specialism regards design as a holistic and systemic perspective to wicked and entangled global and local problems following the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) established by the United Nations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Master of Design (Transitional Environments Design) (TED) is structured by a combination of intensively taught short courses that directly support a workshop investigation.
- Studios and workshops take various forms, from individual work to teamwork, and from self-initiated to externally sponsored projects.
- A range of elective subjects are available to tailor the experience to individual interests. The expectation is that the student is fully committed to the programme and works in the studio environment.
- The specialism concludes with a Capstone Project that unites research, creative exploration, user understanding and prototype testing to provide a solution.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 4 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in Hong Kong (SAR)
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent in spatial design, architecture, landscape or urban and rural design or in a related discipline is required. Candidates with a bachelor's degree or equivalent in a related discipline, e.g. environmental studies, ecology and urban studies, will also be considered. Candidates with other tertiary qualifications complemented with substantial relevant professional experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- A complete application includes
- Application form
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation (academic/ work)
- Evidence of academic qualification, i.e. degree certificate(s)/diploma(s) and final official transcript(s)
- Portfolio (refer to FAQ for requirements and submission)
- All admissions must go through the interview process. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview either in-person or online.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21871 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21871 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
National19113 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19113 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Tuition: HK$174,600 (local) / HK$199,800 (non-local); Initial tuition fee: HK$19,400 (local) / HK$55,000 (non-local)
Living costs for Kowloon
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.