If you're passionate about studying global conflict and co-operation at postgraduate level, but you can't commit to attending university every week, this MA International Relations and Politics offers a convenient way to study a Master's.
Through intensive blocks of study, you'll graduate with the skills and knowledge for creative roles in security, development, social policy, governance, advocacy and communications, in local to global institutions.
- Fit each module into a week's intensive study, with a few weeks' rest between to focus on your life and career commitments
- Explore the contours of contemporary insecurity, examine the key drivers of political and public policy decision making across the globe, and apply key analytical concepts to local and international political developments
- Devise, research and deliver a major academic project
- Challenge conventional explanations and participate in key debates about international conflict, global politics and public policy.
- Develop advanced analytic skills, and how to communicate your analysis in engaging reports, policy briefs and essays.
- Study with internationally-recognised academics, including members of the Centre for European and International Studies Research (CEISR) and the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for the Study of a Transnational Europe
Careers and opportunities
You'll build your opportunities for promotion and career development with this degree, shaping yourself into an active and informed global citizen. You'll develop the skills and knowledge to help you progress in – or enter – a career that values your awareness of ethical and effective action on the world stage.
Previous graduates from our International Relations and Politics courses have gone on to work in parliaments, political parties, third sector and civil society organisations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Core modules in this year include:
- Exploring International Relations (delivered on campus in October 2021)
- Contemporary Security in International Relations (delivered on campus)
- Defence and Deterrence (delivered on campus)
- Researching International Relations (studied online)
- Comparative Public Policy and Administration (delivered on campus)
- Dissertation (supervised online)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development International Business View 536 other Masters in International Relations in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Portsmouth and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A minimum of a second-class honours degree in Politics, International Relations, Peace Studies, Sociology or History, or a 2:1 honours degree in another relevant humanities or social sciences subject. Equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications will also be considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.