This Performance - Conducting MM program from Arizona State University is also beneficial for public school teachers of orchestras and wind bands who want to strengthen their skills.
There are three tracks within this concentration.
- The wind band track allows conductors to study privately with the director of bands and work closely with other members of the conducting faculty, including the director of athletic bands, to develop their conducting and rehearsal skills.
Podium time is essential for the development of conducting skills; therefore, wind band conductors enjoy significant time leading the ASU Wind Ensemble and Wind Symphony, serving as assistant conductor of the Maroon Band, and co-directing the Gold Band. Another exciting opportunity is the ASU Chamber Winds, a stand-alone graduate-level chamber wind group that the wind band conducting students get to work with twice a week.
- The orchestral track is designed to meet the needs of the conductor who focuses on orchestral conducting. Required courses are specific to orchestral conducting, and elective courses provide additional opportunities for further orchestral study.
- The music direction track is designed to meet the needs of the musical director focusing on musical theatre and opera conducting. Required courses focus on music theatre and opera rehearsal techniques, technical production and repertoire.
Musicians with expertise in performing, composing, teaching, researching and arts advocacy and are in high demand across many sectors and industries, including performing arts organizations, educational institutions, entertainment companies, health and wellness industries, and community arts organizations. Skills such as creativity, collaboration, innovation, entrepreneurship and the focused discipline needed for success as musicians are all highly valued by a wide range of companies and professions. School of Music, Dance and Theatre graduate programs inspire and empower students to become creative leaders who transform society through music.
Career examples include:
- artistic director
- arts administrator
- community arts advocate
- performing musician
- public or community school teacher
- university professor
- Solo Performance
- Instrumental Music, Advanced Rehearsal Techniques
- Principles of Integrated Conducting
- Repertoire: Music Theatre Repertoire
- Music Theatre: Workshops
- Music Theatre: Performance
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 1074 other Masters in Music in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a U.S. bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution or the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor's degree from an institution in another country that is officially recognized by that country.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in the last 60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- School of Music, Dance and Theatre application (including a resume, personal statement and repertoire list
- official transcripts
- prescreening video
- three letters of recommendation
- proof of English proficiency
International26460 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26460 USD per year during 12 months.
National24498 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24498 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12014 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12014 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.