Students gain an essential understanding of the entire vision, mission and principles of emergency management with an emphasis on policy analysis and program evaluation, leadership, management, use of technology interagency and cross-sector collaboration. Core concepts and analytic approaches to disaster risk reduction and the promotion of community resilience capacity are addressed in concentration courses.
Program students serve and promote stronger and more resilient communities across public, private or nonprofit sector organizations. The Emergency Management and Homeland Security - Emergency Management MA program from Arizona State University emphasizes a blended approach of practical knowledge and broader integrative thinking about the complex societal challenges of the 21st century. Its core values of collaboration between practitioners, faculty and students; public service; commitment to diversity; critical thinking and evidence-based assessment are all central to promoting informed and effective leadership. Further, it leverages international partners in Australia and the United Kingdom through the PLuS Alliance for additional course offerings.
Graduates with a Master of Arts in emergency management and homeland security have career opportunities illustrated in the following list. Career examples include but are not limited to those shown in the following list. Advanced degrees or certifications may be required for academic or clinical positions.
Career options include:
- continuity of operations planner
- disaster recovery specialist
- emergency manager
- hazard mitigation officer
- logistics specialist
- training and exercises
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Hazards Governance
- Program Evaluation for Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- GIS for Hazards Analysis
- Applied Data Analysis in Criminal Justice
- Homeland Security
- Integrated Emergency Management
- Exercises and Planning for Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- Information Technology in Emergency Management
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesGeographical Information Systems (GIS) Emergency & Disaster Management Terrorism & Security View 72 other Masters in Emergency & Disaster Management in United States
- Fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions.
- A bachelor's or master's degree in criminology or criminal justice, public administration or public service, sociology or social work, public safety or fire service management, parks and recreation management, applied sciences or another closely related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in an applicable master's degree program.
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- 2 letters of recommendation
- written statement
- evidence of current employment in an organization in this field/ at least two years prior professional experience in this or a related field/ a degree in a related area
- proof of English proficiency
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
- Online Arizona resident: $14,328/year
- Online Non-Arizona resident: $15,640/year
Living costs for Phoenix
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.