Biosecurity and threat management is an important and emerging area related to the intersection of homeland security, public health and risk management. It addresses a unique set of hazard and threat management issues related to bioterrorism, agroterrorism and communicable disease threats associated with disaster incidents, as well as biodefense overall. The Emergency Management and Homeland Security - Biosecurity and Threat Management MA program from Arizona State University is designed to assist professional development aimed at meeting these types of current and emerging challenges. Some of the coursework in this concentration area is offered through the University of New South Wales (Australia) as part of the PLuS alliance program.
The emergency management and homeland security program's students serve and promote stronger and more resilient communities across public, private or nonprofit sector organizations. The program emphasizes a blended approach of practical knowledge and broader integrative thinking about the complex societal challenges of the 21st century. Its core values of collaboration between practitioners, faculty and students; public service; commitment to diversity; critical thinking and evidence-based assessment are all central to promoting informed and effective leadership.
A biosecurity and threat management degree can help students pursue key leadership and management positions at a variety of public sector agencies at the federal, state and local level as well as in and related organizations. There are also private-sector job options, such as in the hospital sector, health care and security. No matter where graduates seek employment, they can help protect people, animals and plants from a wide variety of biological threats.
Career examples include:
- biosafety officer
- biosecurity monitor
- biosecurity officer
- biosecurity specialist
- bioterrorism researcher
- data scientist
- Hazards Governance
- Program Evaluation for Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- GIS for Hazards Analysis
- Applied Data Analysis in Criminal Justice
- Homeland Security
- Integrated Emergency Management
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiotechnology Emergency & Disaster Management Terrorism & Security View 72 other Masters in Emergency & Disaster Management in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree in criminology or criminal justice, public administration or public service, sociology or social work, public safety or fire service management, parks and recreation management, applied sciences, or another closely related field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 in an applicable master's degree program.
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- two letters of recommendation
- a written statement
- evidence of current employment
- proof of English proficiency
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
- Online Arizona resident: $14,328/year
- Online Non-Arizona resident: $15,640/year
Living costs for Phoenix
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.