Through this Philosophy and Society program, you’ll analyze the human condition amidst and through the complex social, political, economic, and cultural contexts that characterize the contemporary global landscape. Our innovative and interdisciplinary curriculum leverages the best of the Catholic intellectual tradition and Fordham University’s disciplinary strengths in philosophy, theology, the social and natural sciences, the arts, and the humanities to advance knowledge and learning that promote faith and social justice.
A central characteristic of the program is the integration of academic studies with contextually oriented ministry undertaken in solidarity with local communities (praxis-based learning). You will establish ongoing relationships with community partners which include a well-established network of Bronx based non-profit/nongovernmental organizations; community advocacy groups; tenants' rights groups; and youth climate justice movements. It will also include an institutional partnership between Fordham, the Society of Jesus, and the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Occidente (ITESO), Universidad Jesuita de Guadalajara, Mexico, where you will spend six months working on language and taking courses with brother Jesuits at the ITESO.
- Develop skills for learned and collaborative ministry in the Church in a spirit of dialogue and cultural sensitivity.
- Engage the realities of the contemporary world in intellectually rigorous ways, especially by understanding the Catholic intellectual tradition and growing in an awareness of the social justice dimensions of local and global challenges.
- Engage in coursework that exposes you to religious pluralism and cultural analysis as well as opportunities for immersive study locally and internationally.
- Learn to respond effectively to a Church and world that need well-formed minds and open hearts.
- Ignatian Reflection on Contextual Ministry
- Pastoral Counseling Skills
- Ethics in Pastoral Ministry
- History and Culture of the Jesuits
- Church in Controversy
- Contours of the Ancient and Late Antique World
- Contours of the Late Medieval and Early Modern World
- Contours of Modernity and Postmodernity
- Descartes and Spinoza
- Ethics and Society: Cross Disciplinary Perspectives
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology Liberal Arts View 666 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Fordham University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- GSAS will waive all application fees from members of the Society of Jesus to the
- M.A. in Philosophy and Society (MAPS) program.
- Resume/CV (up to two pages in length, submitted via the online application)
- Official degree transcripts
- Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Scores: optional
- Statement of intent (up to 500 words, submitted electronically, via the online application)
- Writing Sample (5 - 20 pages in length, submitted electronically, via the online application)
- Three letters of recommendation
International1593 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1593 USD per year during 36 months.
National1593 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1593 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Manhattan
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.